Kansas City Area Teachers of Mathematics
2011 Annual Banquet
A CLUB OF INVESTIGATION AND DISCOVERY
(Click to open the spreadsheets - XP & Vista Compatible)
When you open these spreadsheets, there is an option at the top of the sheet regarding
SECURITY OPTIONS. You will need to click on the "Enable Macro" button for these programs to work.
THE CHAOS GAME
The Moon and the Earth
GOALS FOR THE SUMMER
Yes, the club will continue to meet throughout the summer. A few specific goals for the club:
1. get kids (and adults!) doing small things to get started.
2. have people work on a larger project of their liking. For example:
- The summer equinox is right around the corner. Graph weather data and sunrise / sunset.
- Tornado season has been a record season: get latitudes / longitudes of tornados and plot this;
- The Royals are off to a fast start. How fast?
- Every day, there really is something in the paper one could play with in Excel.
if you'd rather just play around and do something neat, that's (obviously) great as well!
3. Probably at the end of July, I'd like to have an =EQUALS= meeting dedicated to show-casing the work everyone has done. Something like this is a great chance not only to show off (and explain) what and how you did something, but see what other people did - and how they did it!
A CHALLENGE FOR PARENTS
A wish-list of parents regarding math is to "show how this applies in the real world". One goal of =EQUALS= is the creation of these booklets, ranging from 32-64 pages, dealing with a particular subject.
Apportionment? Steamships? Astronomy? Snowflakes? Yes - and much more.
And that's where you come in!
If you - or your company - is interested, let's talk about creating a booklet on what you do. Trust me, it does not matter what it is, we can use Excel to create a very interesting, educational, fun booklet!
But don't take my word for it. If you're at all interested, let's talk!